October 2, the day Gandhi was born, is celebrated every year, in India and around the world, as Gandhi Jayanti. Gandhi was and will always be relevant to the world. To a world turning to hate and violence, his words become more so important. Here are 20 quotes by Mahatma Gandhi to remind us all what the father of the nation wanted us to remember.
- Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
2. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
3. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
4. When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it–always.
5. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
6. Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one’s weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.
7. I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
8. Your beliefs become your thoughts, Your thoughts become your words, Your words become your actions, Your actions become your habits, Your habits become your values, Your values become your destiny.
9. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
10. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
11. Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:- I shall not fear anyone on Earth.- I shall fear only God.- I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.- I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.- I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.
12. A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.
13. Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
14. Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.
15. What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty or democracy?
16. To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest.
17. t is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
18. The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.
19. Truth never damages a cause that is just.
20. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Tell us, in the comments, which one you liked the most. Also let us know what quotes you would like to read next!
Subscribe !NS¡GHT to never miss out on our events, contests and best reads! Or – get a couple of really cool reads on your phone every day – click here to join our Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
!NS¡GHT is an open platform that publishes a diversity of views. If you have a complementary or differing point of view, start sharing your views too!
Featured Image Background : https://stock.adobe.com/